Pairing Cheese & Chocolate
by Carl Smith, Deli & Cheese Buyer
Love is in the air…Valentine’s Day is here! A day dedicated to love, romance, cupid and the romantic, gushy, stuff. While it’s common to gift and prepare special meals for those you love on Valentine’s Day, why not try something new this year? Below are a few delicious yet out of the ordinary suggestions from us here, at Bristol Farms.
Pair cheese with chocolate! Yes, you heard me right. You may be surprised, but cheese and chocolate are rich, savory, and deliciously served together.
It is quite easy to do; there is a chocolate – cheese pairing for every taste. From soft mild cheeses to full flavored hard cheeses, many can be paired with milk, white, or dark chocolate to a perfectly suited taste just for you.
Here are our tips and tricks for the perfect cheese course love connection:
- Milk chocolate is wonderful with sweet fresh cheeses such as ricotta and sweet buttery cheeses like brie
- Darker more complex chocolates pair well with aged, more complex cheeses
- Some of the new, intense spicy chocolates (such as chocolate with chili flavors) pair well with sharp cheeses
- Higher butterfat cheeses pair best with chocolates with nuts
- Washed rind cheeses complement fruity chocolates
Here are a few pairing suggestions:
For the Beginners; feel the urge but not confident on what goes together? For the novice, keep it simple:
- Aged Gouda with Dark Chocolate
- Aged Cheddar with Granny Smith Apples and Dark Chocolate
- Triple Crème Brie drizzled with melted dark chocolate and fresh strawberries
For the Initiated; you know what you like but need to push the boundaries:
- Aged Parmesan, Dark Chocolate with a Oat Stout Beer
- Gruyere Swiss, Toasted Cashews and Milk Chocolate
For the Adventurer
- Blue Cheese, Dark Chocolate Truffle and Port Wine.
- Mixed milk Cheese(cow, sheep and goat milk) with White Chocolate and Cranberry or Cherry Chutney
Why not give it a try this year and please come back to tell us your thoughts! We’d love to hear of you personal experiences and what pairings worked, or didn’t work, for you! See you soon in our stores.