Stilton Cheese with Lemon Zest
posted on February 25th, 2015 by Carl Smith
Stilton Cheese with Lemon Zest – there’s no better cheese to feature during our Citrus 101 promotion going on in-store through March 24th. Smooth, sweet white Stilton is delicately enhanced with fine pieces of zesty lemon. It is a medium flavored cheese made with pasteurized cow’s milk, and has easily become a favorite with the winning combination of the mild of white Stilton and the zing of citrus peel. It is deliciously served with a good Sauvignon Blanc.
Stilton cheeses have been granted the status of a protected designation of origin by the European Commission – two of only ten British cheeses currently produced to have such protection. The P.D.O. status requires that only cheese produced in the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire, and made according to a strict code may be called “Stilton”.
Stilton with Lemon Zest is great to snack on, but is wonderful incorporated into many recipes, such as the Lemon Cheesecake below.
Simple-but-impressive, this cheesecake is easy to prepare in advance and makes a lovely light dessert. Serve drizzled with a fruity raspberry coulis for added wow factor.
For the Base:
- 100g or 3 ½ oz. ginger biscuits or graham crackers, crushed
- 40g or 1.5 oz. butter, melted
For the Cheesecake:
- 1 large can of condensed milk
- ½ pint whipping cream, lightly whipped
- 150g or 5.3 oz. White Stilton with Lemon, crumbled
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin until they resemble breadcrumbs. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the biscuit and mix well.
- Turn into an 8” loose bottomed sponge tin and press firmly onto the base using the back of a spoon. Leave to chill.
- Pour condensed milk into a food processor, along with the juice and rind of lemons and blend together. Add the White Stilton with Lemon and mix until the mixture is smooth. Meanwhile lightly whisk the cream and fold into the cheese mix.
- Pour the mixture over the biscuit base, smooth and chill in the fridge until set- preferably overnight.
- Loosen the sides of the tin, press up the base and lift the cheesecake onto a flat dish.
- Garnish with lemon slices.