Pylos Poems – Flavors from Greece
posted on September 8th, 2015 by Mike McMahon
Pylos Poems was named after a small town in the southwest end of Greece, combined with the inspiration by the flavors of their products in that the composition was like the lyrics of a beautiful landscape-inspired poem. Pylos Poems’ products are of excellent quality, high innovation, high nutritional value, uniqueness in taste, and all in accordance to what the Messinian land offers. Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Authentic Balsamic Vinegar, and Kalamata Olive Spreads are just a few of the beautiful products by Pylos Poems that can be found at Bristol Farms.
The olive groves producing the fruit that goes into Pylos Poems products are in a historic place, where nature and climate are in striking harmony. Proper development of the trees are closely monitored by specialized personnel, checking the fruit during each stage of growth and production to ensure an exceptional product is made, such as their Extra Virgin olive oil, a product for which Pylos Poems is proud.
The olive groves are organically cultivated using natural processes with conditions absolutely friendly to the environment, without the use of chemicals for fertilization and spraying. They take samples of the soil and trees and harvest fruit the traditional way, a way passed down from generation to generation.
Traditionally, olive trees are beaten by hand using long sticks forcing the olives to fall on the ground. The fruit falls in large “elaiopana”, which are large canvas sheets that are placed below the trees during the harvest to ensure the olives don’t touch the soil. Once collected, leaves are removed and olives are transported to a modern centrifugal mill and cold pressed. In this way, it’s guaranteed an Organic Extra Virgin olive oil of low acidity, with special characteristics such as being full bodied with full flavor, freshness, bright green color, and fruity aroma.
This advantage of organic cultivation protects the consumer from hazardous toxic substances contained in pesticides, which are sprayed in conventional cultivation and provides higher nutritious value. The olive oil is collected, filtered, and stored in stainless steel tanks in accordance with the rules of the European Union, and falls strictly in compliance with all food safety standards. It is then bottled under strictly controlled specifications which ensures its excellent quality for the final consumer.
Pylos Poems’ products can accompany any of your favorite recipes, or try a new recipe below!
Grilled Vegetables with Raisins & Pine Nuts
- 1 lb. colorful peppers cut in medium pieces
- 2 medium zucchini cut into wide slices of medium thickness
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into slices
- 4 large white mushrooms cut into medium slices
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp basil pesto
- 5 oz. Ultra-Premium extra Virgin oil by Pylos Poems
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oz. molasses
- 3 tbsp of white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a deep bowl, add the chopped vegetables with basil pesto, salt, and pepper. Marinate them with Pylos Poems Ultra-Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil and leave them for 10 minutes in the bowl.
- After marinating, lay the marinated vegetables on a baking tray and put them in the oven (middle rack) and cook them until they are softened and browned. When the vegetables are ready, place them on a platter and top with raisins and pine nuts. Drizzle the molasses and white vinegar on top.