Host Your Own Oktoberfest with Bristol Farms
posted on September 19th, 2016 by Geoff Nicoll
Oktoberfest is a Bavarian tradition held in Munich, Germany from late September thru the first weekend of October. It is the largest celebration in the world, in that approximately 6 million people are in attendance, consuming more than 7 million liters of beer. It lasts 16 days (with a few exceptions mandated by calendar) and has been held and enjoyed by its citizens since 1810.
These days, one doesn’t have to travel the globe to attend an authentic Oktoberfest celebration. There are many hosted locally where you can enjoy great food and brews with a crowd of jolly folks, but if you prefer a more intimate affair, take our tips below for hosting your own Oktoberfest celebration right in your own backyard.
Beer is definitely the star of the show at any Oktoberfest celebration, but food is a key element in the success of the party. Go beyond pretzels and sauerkraut with these recipes and products found at Bristol Farms.
• Browse our beer cooler for a broad range of Bavarian beers, including Oktoberfest beers, that make the whole deal legitimate.
• Kim & Scott’s Bavarian Pretzels (in our freezer aisle) is a very common starter. Serve these up with the Bavarian cheese spread, Obatzda. Hard pretzels are a great alternative if you prefer over the soft pretzel.
• Pretzilla Pretzel Bites (in our Bakery).
• Oktoberfest Sausages (in our Meat Department) – Swiss Bockwurst, German Franks, British Bangers, Bavarian Brats, Guinness Brats. Pretzel Sausage Buns (found in our Bakery) are a perfect match for our authentic Oktoberfest sausages.
• German Potato Salad (recipe).
• Wild Brine Sauerkraut (in our Dairy aisle).
• Red Cabbage (recipe).
• Käsespätzle (recipe).
• Roasted Chicken (in our Deli).
• Apple Strudel is traditionally enjoyed, but you can find delicious options in our Bakery, such as our Apple Crisp Pastry, Apple Tart, and Apple Butter Croissant. (check with your local Bristol Farms for availability).
• Bristol’s Own German Chocolate Cupcakes (in our Bakery).
After you’ve planned out your meal and brews, fire up the Oktoberfest Radio station on Pandora, don the Lederhosen, and have a great time with friends and family! “Prost, to good health.”