Palate for Pumpkin: Our Top 5 Favorites
When it comes to Autumn cooking, pumpkins pretty much rank supreme. With healthy recipe inspiration everywhere we look and also – indulgent pastries, cakes, and cookies galore, it’s no wonder pumpkin-infused everything has become an obsession each Fall. We’re not opposed to it either – in fact, we’re all about the craze. That’s why we’ve compiled our top 5 sweet and savory favorites for your curious pumpkin palate
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 cup finely diced yellow or sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, cut in chiffonade strips
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring continuously, until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice and continue to stir to coat the rice with the oil.
- Add the wine and continue cooking and stirring until it has been absorbed by the rice. Pour in enough chicken stock to cover the rice completely, about 3 cups, and continue to cook (and stir) until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in 1 cup more of the remaining stock and stir and cook until it has been absorbed. Repeat with 1 more cup. Add the remaining cup and cook, stirring, until the rice is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and the diced butternut squash and reduce the heat to very low so that the risotto so it’s barely simmering. Stir in the Parmesan, sage, butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy!
2. Pumpkin Hummus – Sep up your hummus game with this recipe that’s as tasty as it is easy. You’ll never want “plain” hummus again. Get the recipe here.
3. Pumpkin Cake – Talk about an indulgence. This ooey gooey pumpkin cake puts pumpkin pie to shame (yes, we said it). Get the recipe here.
4. Homemade Pumpkin Latte – Because you shouldn’t have to spend $5 on one of these when they’re so gosh darn easy to make at home. Score the recipe here.
5. Spicy Pumpkin Soup – Soothing and perfectly spicy, this flavorful soup will keep your bones warm on a chilly autumn night. Get the recipe here.