A Summer Grilling How To: Build The Ultimate Burger
Mmmm, is there really anything as delicious as a hot and juicy cheeseburger stacked high with all the fixings? Especially during the summertime when enjoyed al fresco, a cheeseburger – whether it’s made with beef, chicken, turkey, or veggies is just too irresistible to resist!
And there’s just no need to go out and spend $20 on this kind of deliciousness. Building a gourmet burger at home is actually quite easy…
Because with our very own buttery brioche buns, bacon, and choice ground chuck and toppings like caramelized onions, sliced avocado, sharp cheddar cheese, and green leaf lettuce, you can easily make a masterpiece.
Here’s our How-to for the Ultimate Gourmet Burger
It all starts with the meat…
May we suggest a huge time-saver that comes in the form of our freshly stuffed burger patties? Choose from French Onion, Cracked Pepper, Black + Bleu, and Bacon Cheddar varieties. Right now, score these patties at $3 off a pound too!
If you’re using beef – go for 80/20 ground chuck – that means 80% lean, 20% fat.
FYI: 1 1/2 lbs makes 4 burgers.
- Shape meat into 4 uniform 6-ounce patties no more than 3/4 inches thick. Then, using your thumb, make a slight depression in the middle of each patty so the burger doesn’t turn into a “hockey puck” shape when grilled. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Preheat your gas grill to high heat or charcoal grill until charcoal orange with ash all over.
- Add your patties and grill for 3 minutes on the first side or until nicely charred. Flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes for medium rare or 5 minutes for medium. Add you cheese slices 1 full minute before removing burgers from the grill. Top with an aluminum foil tent and close grill lid to ensure melty cheese.
- After removing your burgers from the grill, split your buns and grill for about 30-45 seconds on each side.
If you’re using turkey or chicken – go for 90/10 ground turkey or chicken.
Follow steps 1-4 for beef burgers except cook for 5 minutes on the first side and an additional 5 minutes after flipping, or until completely cooked through. Use a meat thermometer or check that juices are clear to ensure doneness.
*There are some great veggie burger options out there too – we love Beyond Meat’s veggie burger. Just follow the grilling instructions on the label.
And 2 slices of a great melting cheese…
There are lots of options when it comes to cheese and in the end, it’s personal preference. But we recommend using a great melting cheese like American, Cheddar, or young Gouda – 2 slices for each burger! Just remember to top your burgers with cheese 1 full minute before removing the grill and add a grill safe cover or an aluminum foil “tent” to melt the cheese.
You’ll need a really delicious bun…
We recommend our very own flaky and buttery and just slightly sweet French-inspired brioche buns, which you can find in our bakery. We also have pretzel buns available, which make for a unique cheeseburger too! Also, we’re all about toasting the buns for a nice slight crunch.
And lots of tasty toppings (but not too many -let that burger shine!)
We suggest picking 3-4 of these toppings.
- Sliced avocado, sprinkled with salt
- Crispy bacon
- Fried egg, over medium
- Caramelized onions
- Iceberg or green leaf lettuce
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Beefsteak tomato slice
- Raw red onion slices
And condiments too!
Last but not least, add mayo, ketchup, Thousand Island dressing, your favorite mustard, and/or something sweet like BBQ sauce or fig jam.