Palate for Pumpkin: Our Top 10 Pumpkin Favorites
When it comes to Autumn cooking, pumpkins pretty much rank supreme. With healthy recipe inspiration everywhere we look and also – indulgent pastries, cakes, and cookies galore, it’s no wonder pumpkin-infused everything has become an obsession each Fall. We’re not opposed to it either – in fact, we’re all about the craze. That’s why we’ve compiled our top 5 sweet and savory favorites for your curious pumpkin palate
1. Pumpkin Risotto – Pumpkin spice and everything nice…this cheesy pumpkin risotto boasts all the Autumn flavors we love – nutmeg, sage, pumpkin, and butternut squash, just to name a few. A spin on a delectable Italian classic, this version has us all sorts of excited for Fall, even if it is currently 85 degrees in Southern California.
Make a pot of this risotto tonight and top with sweet Italian sausage for a dinner that will have your family singing your praises!
Pumpkin + Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 cup finely diced yellow or sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, cut in chiffonade strips
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring continuously, until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice and continue to stir to coat the rice with the oil.
- Add the wine and continue cooking and stirring until it has been absorbed by the rice. Pour in enough chicken stock to cover the rice completely, about 3 cups, and continue to cook (and stir) until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in 1 cup more of the remaining stock and stir and cook until it has been absorbed. Repeat with 1 more cup. Add the remaining cup and cook, stirring, until the rice is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and the diced butternut squash and reduce the heat to very low so that the risotto so it’s barely simmering. Stir in the Parmesan, sage, butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy!
2. Pumpkin Hummus – Sep up your hummus game with this recipe that’s as tasty as it is easy. You’ll never want “plain” hummus again. Get the recipe here.
3. Pumpkin Cake – Talk about an indulgence. This ooey gooey pumpkin cake puts pumpkin pie to shame (yes, we said it). Get the recipe here.
4. Homemade Pumpkin Latte – Because you shouldn’t have to spend $5 on one of these when they’re so gosh darn easy to make at home. Get the recipe here.
5. Rachel’s Overnight Oats Pumpkin Spice variety – Rachel’s overnight oats are the easiest way to have a delicious and nutritious breakfast in a flash. Simply add almond or coconut milk to the oats in a glass jar and refrigerate over night. These oats are already spiced and naturally sweetened too! We carry her overnight oats at all of our stores too!
6. Spicy Pumpkin Soup – Soothing and perfectly spicy, this flavorful soup will keep your bones warm on a chilly autumn night. Get the recipe here.
7. Bristol Farms Pumpkin Muffins – say hello to the most decadent pumpkin baked good you’ve ever tasted. So incredibly moist, these muffins will change your world especially when warmed with a small slab of butter.
9. Califia Farms Pumpkin Spice Latte Cold Brew Coffee – skip the overpriced latte from the coffee shop and enjoy Califia’s version, which is non-GMO, vegan, and kosher and made with almond milk. Pour over ice for a sweet morning treat without the guilt.
10. Bristol Farms Pumpkin Pie – But of course, we couldn’t forget to mention our all-time favorite pumpkin recipe! Our pumpkin pies are baked fresh daily and are always ridiculously dense and perfectly sweet filling and a buttery, flaky crust that always pleases.