Provençal Beef Stew
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup Applewood smoked bacon, diced 1/4 inch
3 lbs Bristol Quality boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon fresh ground sea salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
3/4 lb whole peeled Cippolini onions or Balsamic Cippolini onions (available in our deli)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups red wine
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb celery, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 lb carrots, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1/2 lb turnips, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 lb baby Dutch yellow or Ruby gold potatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons each minced fresh thyme and minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
1/2 lb Melissa's sugar snap peas
1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. In a heavy bottom sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add diced bacon and saute until browned and crisp remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper, turn heat to high and saute beef pieces in small batches until browned on all sides and remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pan, add onions and garlic and saute until onions are tender and browned lightly. Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Return meat to pan and deglaze pan with red wine and cook for about 5 minutes, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Add chicken stock and herbs to pan cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 45 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven and stir in celery, carrots, potatoes and turnips, cover pan with foil and place in oven and cook 1 hour and 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked and meat is tender.
6. Remove pan from oven and place on stove top, add sugar snap peas, browned bacon bits and cook for 5 minutes or until peas are just tender. Adjust seasonings and enjoy.