Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb ripe Hass avocados (about 4), peeled and chopped
- 2 T fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 C homemade chicken stock (or low-sodium canned), chilled
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded, veined and minced
- 1 C freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- 1/4 C tequila, preferably aged
- Coarse salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 watermelon, for serving bowl and garnish
- In a blender, combine avocado, cilantro, 3/4 cup chicken stock, and serrano pepper. Add orange juice, tequila, salt, orange zest and remaining 5 1/4 cups chicken stock. Blend until smooth, in two batches if necessary. Strain through a sieve.
- Cut watermelon in half crosswise. Hollow out half of the watermelon, forming a tureen. Remove seeds from the scooped-out watermelon flesh and cut the flesh into half-inch cubes. Pour soup into watermelon and garnish with watermelon cubes. Reserve remaining half of watermelon for another use.
Approximate values per serving: 257 calories, 10 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 15 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 845 mg sodium, 32 percent calories from fat.
recipe from: The Arizona Republic, 1/17/04
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.