Chilled Tomatillo and Cucumber Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 C coarsely chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb tomatillos (about 10), husked and diced
- 1 hothouse cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 C chicken stock
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1/4 C diced green onions, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion, then garlic, and saut/(c) until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatillos and cucumber and cook 5 minutes. Add poblano chiles and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until tomatillos and cucumbers are tender, about 10 minutes. Add jalape/+/-o, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper; let cool. Pur/(c)e the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cream. Refrigerate and serve cold or at room temperature. Divide among 6 bowls and sprinkle green onions over each serving.
Approximate values per serving: 159 calories, 11 g fat, 27 mg cholesterol, 6 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 628 mg sodium, 60 percent calories from fat.
recipe from: The Arizona Republic, 3/4/04
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.