Grilled Tomato and Red Bell Pepper Soup
Makes 4 servings
- 3 lbs large firm, ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled quartered
- 1/4 C olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 6 thin slices pancetta or bacon
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 C chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 2 T finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes and onions with 3 tablespoons of the oil to lightly coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the tomatoes, cut sides down, and the onions and bell pepper on the grill and cook, turning, until charred and soft, about 4 minutes for the tomatoes and 6 to 10 for the onions and pepper. Remove and place the pepper in a plastic or paper bag, and cool for 10 minutes. Let the tomatoes and onions sit until cool enough to handle; peel the tomatoes and chop, and chop the onions.
- Place the pancetta on the grill and cook, turning, until charred around the edges and cooked through. Set aside. (If using bacon, grill, turning, and when cool enough to handle, crumble and set aside.)
- In a large pot, heat the remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the chopped onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held blender. (Alternatively, transfer in batches to a food processor and puree, and return to the pot.) Add the cream and basil, return to a simmer, and cook, until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Ladle the soup into 6 shallow soup bowls and top each with 1 grilled pancetta round (or crumbled bacon). Serve immediately.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 6/6/04
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.