Artichoke Stew with Mushrooms
Makes 4 servings
- 4 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 C
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, plus 1 clove, cut in 1/2
- 1/2 C sweet vermouth (recommended: Cinzano Rosso)
- 8 small artichokes, cut in 1/4,Aeos
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Dried red chile, chopped
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, hard part of foot removed, cut in to 1/2,Aeos
- 1 1/2 C basic tomato sauce (see below)
- 4 C water
- 1 T salt
- 1 T salt
- Hee Hee garnish (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a heavy bottomed 6-quart pan, heat the olive oil until just smoking.
- Add 12 whole garlic cloves and saute about 4 minutes until caramelized. Be careful not to burn. Deglaze pan with sweet vermouth. Trim artichokes by cutting off the top with a serrated bread knife. Trim down to the choke, cut unto 1/4 pieces and let sit in water and lemon juice so as not to discolor. Toss into the pan with the garlic, add remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil chopped dried chili and shiitake mushrooms. Add tomato sauce and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and season with 1 tablespoon salt.
- Meanwhile slice the bread, toast on a grill and rub with the remaining cut garlic clove.
- Spoon Hee Hee garnish over the toasted bread and serve with the stew.
Basic tomato sauce:
- 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 T chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 2 (28-oz.) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Hee Hee Garnish:
- 2 artichokes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch red chili flakes
- Pinch sea salt
- Clean and trim artichokes. Cut into paper thin slices and add to a bowl with lemon juice Add the extra-virgin olive oil, chili flakes and sea salt.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 12/24/03
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.