Cauliflower Cheddar Gratin
Makes 8 servings
- 3 lb cauliflower (1 large head), cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch florets
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion greens
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 (2-inch) square saltine crackers
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Cook cauliflower in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain cauliflower well in a colander and transfer to baking dish.
- While cauliflower cooks, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a slow stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese, scallion greens, salt, and pepper, whisking until cheese is melted. Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and stir gently to combine.
- Coarsely crumble crackers into a bowl. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and stir in horseradish. Pour over crumbs and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over cauliflower. Bake gratin until topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
recipe from: epicurious.com, 1/8/06
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.