Lemon Blueberry Ice-cream Cake
Makes 8 to 12 servings
- 1 1/2 C cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick (1/2 C) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 3 T finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 6 T fresh lemon juice
- blueberry filling (see below)
- 7 C lemon ice cream (see below)
- Garnish: 2 C blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep) and line bottom with a round of wax paper.
- Into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Separate eggs and beat yolks 1 at a time into butter mixture, beating well after each addition. In 3 batches alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, beating until just combined (do not overbeat). In a bowl with cleaned beaters beat whites until they hold soft peaks and beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Fold whites into batter gently but thoroughly. Transfer batter to cake pan and bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack and invert onto rack. Cake may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature.
- With a long serrated knife horizontally halve cake. Put bottom half, cut side up, in a 9-inch springform pan. Brush 2 tablespoons remaining lemon juice over layer. Working quickly, spread half of blueberry filling evenly over layer, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edge, and top with one third ice cream, spreading evenly. Put remaining cake half, cut side up, on top of ice cream and brush remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice over it. Spread remaining blueberry filling evenly over top, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edge, and spread half of remaining ice cream evenly over filling. Reserve remaining ice cream for outside of cake. Freeze cake, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours, and up to 1 day.
- Remove side of springform pan. With a spatula loosen cake from bottom and transfer to a plate. Frost cake with remaining ice cream, spreading evenly around sides and top of cake. Freeze cake, loosely covered, at least 2 hours and up to 5 days. Twenty minutes before serving, garnish top of cake with blueberries and put cake in refrigerator to soften slightly.
- 4 1/2 C blueberries
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Pick over blueberries. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan combine all ingredients and simmer, stirring, until reduced to about 2 cups, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer filling to a bowl. Chill filling, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Makes about 2 cups.
Lemon Ice Cream
- 1/4 C finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2/3 C fresh lemon juice
- 2 C superfine granulated sugar
- 3 C well-chilled heavy cream
- 1 C whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Have ready an ice-cream maker. In a saucepan whisk together zest, lemon juice, and sugar. Cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes, and cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl whisk together cream, milk, and salt and stir in lemon syrup. Transfer mixture to ice-cream maker and freeze. Transfer ice-cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 3 days ahead. Makes about 7 cups.
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.