Sugarcane Baked Ham with Spiced Apples and Pears
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 12 sugarcane swizzle sticks, each cut into about 3 inch pieces
- 1 hickory smoked ham, spiral sliced, 8 to 10 pounds (no bone, water added, cooked)
- 1 C firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 C pure cane syrup
- 1/2 C dark molasses
- 1/2 C dark corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 C water
- 1 1/2 lbs (about 4) Granny Smith apples
- 1 1/2 lbs (about 4) Bartlett pears
- 2 dozen medium buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a shallow baking pan with parchment or waxed paper. Insert the sugarcane sticks into the ham at 3 to 4-inch intervals. Tie the ham, using kitchen twine, at two inch intervals horizontally and vertically to keep it together. Place on a wire rack in the baking pan. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together except for the mustard and water. Mix well. In a small bowl, dissolve the mustard in the water, then add to the spice mixture. Blend well
- Brush the entire ham with the glaze, coating it evenly. Wash, core, and halve the fruit. Place all around the ham. Baste the ham a second time and baste the fruit with the glaze. Bake for 45 minutes. Baste the ham and fruit again. Bake another 45 minutes. Remove the ham from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the string and swizzle sticks. Serve the apples and pears on a platter with the ham. Serve everything warm or at room temperature. Serve the biscuits on the side.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 11/19/03
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.