Steak and Mushroom Sandwiches
Makes 6 servings
- 1 LB flank or sirloin steak
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 long sandwich buns (about 6 inches)
- 4 to 8 oz. mozzarella or other cheese, sliced
- Pickled jalape/+/-o slices or spicy pickled okra (optional)
- Put the steak in the freezer for 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until limp and well-browned. This might take 20 minutes. Meanwhile, slice steak as thinly as you can against the grain. (The grain on flank steak is easy to see - it's the long, striated indentations.) If you end up shaving some of the meat rather than actually slicing it, that's fine.
- When the onions are brown, increase heat to high and add mushrooms, salt and oregano. Cook, stirring, 6 minutes, until mushrooms are limp and dark. Add beef and stir quickly and constantly until it's no longer pink.
- Divide mixture among buns and top with sliced cheese. Serve with pickled jalape/+/-o peppers or okra, if desired. Serve with a salad of chopped tomatoes and cucumber.
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.