Spinach-Stuffed Lamb Roast
Serves 12- 16
- 3/4 C chopped onion
- 1/3 C chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T margarine or butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 T snipped fresh basil or 1 T dried basil, crushed
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh marjoram or 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
- 3 C plain croutons
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 4-6 lb leg of lamb, boned and butterflied (can order from your local meat market)
- For stuffing, in a small saucepan cook onion, celery, and garlic in margarine or butter till tender but not brown. In a mixing bowl combine onion mixture, eggs, spinach, basil, and marjoram.
- Stir in croutons and Parmesan cheese. Add 1/4 cup water, tossing lightly. Set aside.
- Remove fell (paper-thin, pinkish red layer) from outer surface of meat. Trim fat. With boned side up, pound meat with a meat mallet to an even thickness. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread stuffing over roast. Roll up; tie securely.
- Place roast, seam side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into thickest portion of meat. Roast in a 325° oven for 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours or till thermometer registers 150°.
- Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove strings. If desired, garnish with fresh basil and marjoram.
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.