Carrot Ring with Buttered Peas and Cauliflower
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 C fine bread crumbs
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 C (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 C light brown sugar
- 3 C (1 pound) finely grated fresh carrots
- 2 T milk
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 C flour
- 3 T butter
- 2 C fresh or frozen peas
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, cut into florets and cooked until tender in salted water
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 3 quart ring mold or bunt pan with the oil. Dust the pan with the bread crumbs. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a whip attachment, whip the egg whites on medium-high until stiff. Remove and set aside.
- In another bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating until smooth. Add the carrots, milk and lemon juice. Beat well. Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour. Beat well. Fold in the whipped egg whites. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 1 hour, or until the center is set and the cake springs back from the pan.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan and turn onto a serving platter. In a saut/(c) pan, over medium heat, melt the butter and cook for about 1 minute or until the butter starts to turn brown. Add the peas. Season with salt and pepper. Saut/(c) for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and spoon around the carrot ring. Spoon the cauliflower in the center of the ring. Serve warm.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 04/16/03
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.