Grilled Asparagus and Red Pepper Salad
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 to 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bag (6 to 8 oz.) mixed greens or spinach
- 1/3 C crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 C toasted pecan halves
- Balsamic Dressing (see below)
- Heat grill to high. Place whole red pepper on grill over direct heat. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until skin is charred and blistered. Place pepper in a covered dish until it's cool enough to handle. Peel skin off, cut top off and remove seeds and ribs. Slice pepper into strips.
- Trim tough ends off the asparagus and toss it with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on grill, turning frequently, until slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Asparagus should be crisp-tender, not mushy. Remove from grill and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the greens among 4 plates. Divide roasted peppers and asparagus into 4 servings and place on top of the greens. Sprinkle each salad with cheese and pecans, and drizzle with balsamic dressing to taste. Serve with extra dressing, pecans and cheese.
- 2/3 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T chopped fresh marjoram (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Boil vinegar in small heavy saucepan over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Pour into large bowl. Whisk in olive oil, mustard, marjoram and garlic.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dressing will thicken as it cools.
Approximate values per serving: 258 calories, 23 g fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 6 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 238 mg sodium, 77 percent calories from fat.
recipe from: The Arizona Republic, 08/27/03
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.