Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Spinach
Makes 8 servings
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large leek, (white and pale green parts only) finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 C pearl barley
- 7 C vegetable stock
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 10 spears asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces on bias
- 1 C fresh or frozen lime beans (frozen, thawed), fresh blanched in boiling salted water, drained
- 1/2 lb baby spinach, trimmed and cut into chiffonade
- 1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat grill. Using side burner or top of grill. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 leeks and fennel and cook until soft. Add the thyme and barley and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the broth and saffron in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Begin by adding 2 cups of the stock and stir until the barley has absorbed the stock. Add the remaining leeks and fennel and 4 cups of the broth. Cook until barley is tender and the mixture is creamy, stirring often, about 30 minutes, during the last 10 minutes add the asparagus. If the mixture appears dry, add the remaining 1 cup of stock. Add the lima beans and spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 06/04/03
In no event shall Bristol Farms, its affiliates and its third party providers be liable to you or any third parties for any illness or damages of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of the information or recipes provided on, or accessed through, this website. Service provider, its affiliates and its third party providers disclaim any liability, loss or obligation in connection with the content provided on this website. This website, and the recipes and information on this website, are provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind, and should not be construed in any way as medical advice or instruction. Consult the appropriate health professionals before using any of the recipes or information on this website.