5 Roasted chicken meal ideas
Need a quick, simple, and delicious dinner at home tonight? Bristol Farms has you covered. Whether you roast your own or pick up one of our tender rotisserie chickens, you can make just about any dish in a snap with your protein all set to go.
Our chickens come from a third generation farm right here in California. Need some inspiration for quick chicken meals? We’ve got that covered, too. But first, here’s how we like to roast a perfect chicken (thanks, Thomas Keller)!
Step 2 has been modified. Do not rinse your chicken to reduce spread of bacteria. For more safe handling tips, visit the USDA.
Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole (5- to 6-pound) chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange oven rack on bottom third.
- 2. Dry the chicken very well with paper towels to make your chicken crisper.
- 3. Place chicken in a large roasting pan (with or without a wire rack underneath). Truss the bird, tying the legs together and close to the body of the chicken. (This helps the chicken cook evenly and results in a more beautiful roasted bird.)
- 4. Sprinkle all over with kosher salt (about 1 Tablespoon). Season to taste with pepper.
- 5. Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size*. Do not baste or add butter or oil. (Keller’s theory is that this creates steam, which inhibits the crispness and tenderness of the chicken). If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- 6. To measure temperature, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should reach 165 degrees F.
- 7. Remove chicken from oven and baste with pan juices. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Tag us @bristolfarms on Instagram and hashtag #recipes.
01 Pulled Chicken Tacos
Start by shredding the chicken and adding roughly one pound of meat to a large non-stick skillet. Add taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water and cook on low heat until most of the water has evaporated. Then, check your pantry for canned corn or beans, drain, and heat it through.
After that, simply spoon your mixture onto warmed corn tortillas and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and thin slices of red bell peppers or your favorite salsa for a bit of color.
02 Rotisserie Chicken Skillet
Quick, versatile, and guaranteed to satisfy kids and adults alike. Start by pulling and roughly chopping the chicken. Then, in a dry pan, cook pasta or orzo until lightly browned. Set it aside, then add your choice of veggies – perhaps carrots or onions – and saute for three or four minutes.
Then, bring the orzo back into the pan with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cover, bring it down to a medium simmer, and cook it with two cups of chicken stock for eight minutes. After that, take off the cover and add the chicken, plus peas and parsley.
Remember – this is a super versatile recipe, so feel free to substitute as needed. Use water instead of stock, corn instead of peas, and similar swaps to create your delicious dish.
03 Simply Delicious Chicken Ramen
Ramen has never been so simple. Start by making an easy broth of roasted chicken, chicken stock, crushed garlic, and ginger. Then, top it off with flavorings like soy sauce, sriracha, and mirin. If you’ve got the time, build your own stock with your chicken leftovers (bones, wings, skin, etc) instead of using boxed broth.
Let it simmer a bit, then toss in your noodles for about two minutes, or until medium-firm. Dried ramen noodles or fresh noodles from our dairy section would both work well – up to you! Top off your custom bowl with any combo of toppings like spinach, soft boiled egg, scallions, corn, cabbage, or dried seaweed. And, if you’re craving something spicy, a dash of chili oil will do the trick.
04 Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad
This one’s almost too easy – combine shredded lettuce, fresh chopped tomatoes, corn, black beans, and slices of local Hass avocado in a large bowl.
Top it with a couple tablespoons of chipotle ranch dressing or whip up your own healthier version with Greek yogurt (this recipe from Ambitious Kitchen is one of our go-tos.)
05 Rotisserie Chicken + Our Signature Sides
With our Organic Lentil and Chickpea Soup, Roasted Moroccan Carrot Salad, mashed potatoes, freshly grilled veggies, and more, we’ve got everything you need for a show-stopping meal with zero prep work or kitchen cleanup. What could be more simple (or delicious)?