Natasha’s Potato Vareniki (Ukrainian Dumplings) | Mom’s Best Recipe
We all know Mom knows best. During the month of May, we celebrated all the moms out there with a very special contest. This is one of the memory-filled recipes sent in from grateful sons & daughters from our community 💖 #momsbestmeal
Natasha’s Potato Vareniki (Ukrainian Dumplings)
- For the Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt (plus more for cooking)
- 4 cups flour
- For the filling:
- 4 russet potato, boiled
- 1 yellow onion, chopped & fried
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- To make the dough:
- 1. Mix the wet ingredients and salt in a stand mixer with dough hook.
- 2. Add in flour slowly until dough comes together.
- 3. Let it kneed in mixer on low speed for 5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- 4. Set dough aside to rest while you make filling.
- To make the filling:
- 1. Mash the boiled potatoes.
- 2. Mix with fried onions and cheese. Salt and Pepper to taste. Let fully cool.
- To make the vareniki:
- 1. Divide dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll it out to 1/8 inch. Using a 3-inch, round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough.
- 2. Add 1/2 tbsp of filling into center of each round. Wet edges with water and bring up together to close. Pinch tightly to seal.
- 3. Boil a large pot of salted water.
- 4. Add in vareniki, don’t over crowd the pot. Boil for 3-5 minutes or until the dough is tender. (Similar to how you would make ravioli)
- 5. You can eat them like this with sour cream or you can sauté them in some butter (as pictured).
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Tag us @bristolfarms on Instagram and hashtag #BFrecipes