Fun with Fungi
Meaty, magical and mysterious, cultures have loved mushrooms for centuries — both for their palatable flavors and their healing powers. In addition to their versatile flavors, mushrooms are a superfood loaded with nutritional value, making them a healthy choice at meal time.
Mushrooms are high in protein and fiber and low in calories. They contain minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium, and are rich in vitamins C, D, and B. They are known to aid with gut health, provide high levels of antioxidants to support the immune system and fight disease, and have cardiovascular benefits. Not to be mushy, but that’s a whole lot of wellness in one tasty fungi.
Select fresh mushrooms that are firm, dry, and unbruised, and cook them in soups, sautées, and as meat substitutes. You can also get mushrooms in dried powder form, for mixing into coffee, water, soups, or smoothies.
There are over 10,000 known species of mushrooms, but here are some of our favorites:
- White, or “button” are your everyday mushrooms, wonderful sliced in omelets, salads, or what about crisping it up a notch with this fried mushroom recipe from Dinner at the Zoo?
- Brown cremini are quite similar to the white variety, but some think they’re a touch more flavorful. Try cremini in this Mushroom Soup for smooth, decadent umami flavor.
- Shiitake mushrooms play well with others. Miyoko’s Brown Butter Mushrooms calls for a mixture of cremini, shiitake and oyster. Find this versatile vegan butter in our Dairy Department.
- Oyster mushrooms, mentioned in the recipe above, are anti-inflammatory and delicately delicious.
- Portobellos are big and meatlike, often used as burger meat substitutes or filled like bowls like in this Stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe from The Cozy Apron.
- Chaga is typically consumed in powder form. It is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It also can help to balance your immune system.
- Reishi is another popular mushroom powder, and is an anti-inflammatory that helps with stress response and mental clarity. Brands like Four Sigmatic are ready to elevate your daily routine with mushroom-based supplements. Find them in our Natural Living Department.
- Cordyceps support energy and stamina. They also have anti-aging properties and can help fight inflammation.
- Lion’s Mane can improve cognitive function and relieve symptoms of stress. Try our adaptogenic lattes at the Coffee Bar and enjoy the benefits of medicinal mushrooms!
Feeling inspired? Tag us @bristolfarms – we can’t wait to see your creations.